Food Service FAQ

Last Updated: 5/27/2021 7:12 PM
  1. Can I complete an application for free and reduced price meals by phone?

No, applications must be filled out by hand or on the Food Service Web site. For your username and password, please call Chris Tramontin at (906) 779-2631 or email her at

  1. Can I prepay for my child’s breakfast, lunch and extra’s?

Absolutely, in fact the system that BTS has in the cafeteria is a Debit System. The money should be put on the meal card account first and then as the child eats it is deducted from the account – similar to a checking account. So, yes, prepayment is encouraged. If you are writing out a check, please include the child’s full name on it. If the check is for more than one student, please list all of their names and how you would like the money divided.

  1. Do I have to complete a free/reduced price meal application each year?

Yes, you do have to complete a new application each school year.  The only exception is if you receive a letter from the school stating your child has been directly certified because he/she is receiving food stamps.  In some cases one of your children may quality through direct certification and you may have to fill out an application for other children in your household.  If you have questions please call the Food Service office at 779-2631

  1. Do I report my gross income or net income on the free/reduced price meal application?

You must report gross income for all of those living in the household. This is the income before any deductions for taxes or social security, etc. In addition you must also list everyone living in your household.

  1. How can I arrange a special diet to accommodate a medical condition for my student?

If special diet needs are required please contact Mrs. Waterman. If your child has allergies you will need to bring in a slip from your family doctor.

  1. How can I find out the balance in my child’s meal account?

If you have internet access you can get your child's balance from Food Service PS1000 Web Portal.  Call Chris Tramontin at the Food Service office for your username and password at 779-2631.
If you would like the balance immediately call the food service office at 779-2631 and we will give you that information.

  1. What foods are included in a reimbursable school breakfast and lunch?

At lunch all students may select 3, 4, or 5 servings from the following choices:

Lunch includes:

    1. Meat/Meal Alternate
    2. Grain/Bread
    3. fruits
    4. vegetables
    5. 8 fluid ounces of milk

NOTE: Your child must take ½ cup of fruit or vegetable at breakfast and lunch or he/she will be charged ala carte price for every item that is on the tray. --- USDA Rule

At Breakfast a student must take full servings of at least 3 food items:

Breakfast includes:

    1. Grain/Bread
    2. Fruit or Fruit Juice or Vegetable
    3. 8 fluid oz of Milk

Students in grades 6-12 may select a maid dish (such as cereal with toast, big muffin, biscuit, waffle, egg, French toast sticks, and other menu selections) along with one milk and one fruit and juice.

  1. Does my child have to take all 5 food groups?

No. Breitung Township Schools implemented "Offer versus Serve" and your child only needs to take 3 of the 5 components that are offered in the correct serving size for each age group. One of the items needs to be ½ cup of fruit or vegetable.

  1. What happens if my child forgets to bring lunch money?

If your child should forget his/her lunch money they will be allowed to charge their meal. In an effort to keep our billing costs down, we will be enforcing the cafeteria rule this school year. Students who owe more than $20.00 on their meal cards will be sent to the Principal’s Office to call home for lunch money.

  1. What happens if there is a balance in my child’s lunch account at the end of the school year?

Any money left on the account will remain there to begin the next school year. Money left on the account of a graduating senior will automatically be divided between any siblings or refunded to the parent upon request.

  1. What is the price of school meals?

See Home Page

  1. Why has my child been denied the free/reduced meal priced?

If you have been denied free and reduced lunch it is because your income is too high or your application was incomplete. If you have any questions about your application, please contact the Food Service Office at 779-2631 or e-mail

  1. What is the cut-off income for qualifying for free/reduced priced meals? site

  1. What if my child owes money at the end of the school year?

Emails, Text messages, and phone calls are sent every week. Please keep your child's account up to date.

Under federal law, all schools need to collect any money owed to the Food Service Department. Therefore, rules will be implemented for charging meals at the beginning of 2017-2018 school year.

  1. How can I make Credit Card payments on my child’s meal card?

You can utilize the Food Service PS1000 Web Portal.

  1. What is a reimbursable meal?

A reimbursable meal is a meal that is planned using specific meal pattern requirements so the school will receive reimbursement from the federal government.