Free and Reduced Information

Children need healthy meals to learn. Breitung Township Schools offers healthy meals every school day. Woodland students may buy lunch for $2.25 and breakfast for $1.00. Secondary students may buy lunch for $2.50 and breakfast for $1.25. Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals. We sell reduced price lunches for $0.40 and breakfast for $0.30. If a doctor has determined that your child has a disability, and the disability would prevent the child from eating the regular school meal, the school will make any substitution prescribed by a doctor at no extra charge. For further information, please call 779-2631. The doctor’s statement, including prescribed diet and/or substitution, must be submitted to the food service department at your school.

You can fill out this application online at Go to the School Nutrition tab and choose Food Service PS1000 Web Portal or click Food Service PS1000 Web Portal. Call Chris Tramontin at the Food Service office for your username and password at 779-2631.

  1. Do I need to fill out an application for each child? No. Complete the application to apply for free and reduced price school meals. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Family Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to: your child's school or mail to Breitung Township Schools, 2000 Pyle Drive, Kingsford, MI 49802 Attn: Food Service.
  2. Who can get free meals? Children in households getting Food Assistance Program (FAP), Family Independence Program (FIP), or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free meals if your household income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Guidelines.
  3. CAN FOSTER CHILDREN GET FREE MEALS? Yes, children who meet definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant qualify for free meals. If you haven't been told your children will get free meals, please call Mr. Dave Holmes, 779-2670, homeless liaison or migrant coordinator to see if your child(ren) qualify.
  4. Can homeless, runaway and migrant children get free meals? Please call Dave Holmes (779-2670) to see if your child(ren) qualify, if you have not been informed that they will get free meals.
  5. Who can get reduced price meals? Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Income Guidelines.
  6. Should I fill out an application if I got a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free meals? Please read the letter you got carefully and follow any instructions if provided. Call the school at 779-2631 if you have questions.
  7. MY CHILD'S APPLICATION WAS APPROVED LAST YEAR. DO I NEED TO FILL OUT ANOTHER ONE? Yes. Your child's application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.
  8. I GET WOMEN, INFANTS, & CHILDREN (WIC). CAN MY CHILD(REN) GET FREE MEALS? Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. An application must be filled out by WIC households.
  9. Will the information I give be verified? Yes, we may ask you to send written proof of any information provided on the application..
  10. If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later? Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size goes up, income goes down, or if you start getting Food Stamps, FIP, FDPIR, or other benefits. If you lose your job, your children may be able to get free or reduced price meals.
  11. What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Mr. Craig Allen, 2000 Pyle Drive, Kingsford, MI 49802 (779-2650).
  12. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for free or reduced price meals.
  13. Who should I include as members of my household? You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends) who share income and expenses. You must include yourself and all children living with you. If you live with other people who are economically independent (for example, people who you not support, who do not share income with you or your children, and who pay a pro-rated share of the expenses), do not include them..
  14. What if my income is not always the same? List the amount that you normally get. For example, if you normally get $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only got $900, put down that you get $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but not if you get it only sometimes. If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income..
  15. We are in the military, do we include our housing allowance as income? If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income.
  16. What if my child does not have health insurance? Your children may qualify for low cost or free health insurance through MIChild and Healthy Kids Program. To apply On-Line, go to or call 1-888-988-6300 for help or to request a paper application.
  17. MY SPOUSE IS DEPLOYED TO A COMBAT ZONE. IS HIS/HER COMBAT PAY COUNTED AS INCOME? No, if the combat pay is received in addition to his/her basic pay because of his/her deployment and it wasn't received before he/she was deployed, combat pay is not counted as income. Contact your school for more information.
  18. MY FAMILY NEEDS MORE HELP. ARE THERE OTHER PROGRAMS WE MIGHT APPLY FOR? To find out how to apply for Food Assistance Program (FAP) or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call 1¬800-481-4989.